With the main Ibs enmuseum area outside town, however, the mere fact Ibsen's birth here is eclipsed by other dominant impressions: Immigration here., the labor pool; multi-ethnic. And the transposition of cultural values: Finding luck. Our hotel was just around the corner, the comfortable and traditional Hotell Dag Bondeheim -- fine example of 1920's grandeur, with options as to price. Just ask. Norway is expensive. Get around it.
- Not every approach is a threat; not every touch, even if permission is not given, need be an affront. Relax, assess, take a firm and affirmative step to terminate, and move on with a firm wave.
- Here, we encountered intoxication combined with a mild demeanor, and delight of this stranger at meeting Daniel. And getting some luck.
- Others in Europe have recognized Dan, as part of a global community of fine folks, and stop to talk or smile and nod. This, however, was the first get-in-there-and-touch.
- What to do, as a parent. Is this molesting or benign? What is in the mind of the gently drunk man? Luckily, You, the Parent, are There.
- Liddell Hart. Overview: the seeker of a goal* (safety, exit, respect) assesses first, before acting. Avoid confrontation whenever possible, slide this way or that to get what you need to get, safety and exit, and do it. Ideology is more harmful to a lasting resolution.
What parts of Africa, if any, focus on an ample belly as a good thing? Or the islands off Central America? The accent of this man sounded Caribbean, even as he spoke Norwegian.
- Nigeria. Among the Yoruba, this article suggests, the human stomach is seen as a cultural repository of "social, psychological and emotional states," a sign of well-being, affluence, other virtues ascribed to the physical attribute, see page 3 at Tummy Talk and the Yoruba Language, http://english.fullerton.edu/publications/cln/clnarchives/2007winter/fakoya_a.pdf. That cultural side breeds conflict when fashion dictates a slender body for Western attractiveness, but the African ideal remains the large abdomen. Tummy tucks: a difficult decision.
- Elsewhere. This site would carry more credibility with a plain white background, nonetheless, read more at http://honoringyourbelly.com/inspiration/articles/honoring_belly.html
Business Hotels. Our first choice for clean, reasonable, safe, central location.
Our Plan A is to drive right into town, to where we would like to walk around after supper without having to move the car. Then we look for a place to stay. Here, in central Skien, older hotels (this Hotell Dag Bondeheim was built in 1927) faced directly on the street, no parking. Double park, run in, and if there is room, whip around the block to a back old-carriage entry and there is a lot. Fine.
- Dan does know to say no, and to follow up any stranger's unwanted touch with firm arm-downward motion and a fast exit.
- Here, he was caught in a drape-hold by suddenly intent person, and this grab and rub happened between the time a) Dan got out of the car and b) I could whiz around it, from the driver's side to his. I told Dan to stay put, I would move right in, take the picture to distract the man, and ease the gentleman away.
- Indirection works, take note, ye force-obsessed politicians.'
- The indirect approach worked well here, as it does in global issues, so thank you Liddell Hart.
- If a confrontation is not needed, don't do it. Accomplish the goal with minimal casualties to ego and related humiliations.
- Wave, smile, laugh a little in mutual humanity, and leave.